Plants are the new pets! Who doesn’t have a home filled with plants these days? And when you bring home the most perfect little guy or gal, let’s face it, you can’t resist assigning an adorable name to it.
Giving your cactus a pet name is totally not lame, right?
Plus, the botanical or common names for most cacti are so boring anyway.
If you’re stuck for ideas, I’ve come up with a pretty fun list of names for a cactus. Most of them are funny, cute, ironic and based on pop culture characters.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Names for a Cactus Based on TV Show Characters
If you’re a big fan of cartoons, you should name your cactus one of these punny names based on TV show characters:
- Prickle Rick
- Prick and Morty (perfect names if you have a matching pair of cacti)
- Tony Saguaro (instead of Tony Soprano)
- Spongebob Sharppants
- Bugsy or Doc (for bunny ear cactus)
- Pokey Pig
- Angelica Prickles (if you’re a fan of Rugrats!)
- Spikaelangelo (for Michaelangelo of TMNT)
- Fred Splintsone
Names for Cacti Based on Movie Characters
If you’re a fan of Star Wars, the Hunger Games, Toy Story and Disney movies, keep reading!
We’ve got come clever names for cacti based on your favorite movie characters:
- Fuzz Lightyear (if you have an Old Man Cactus (common name), also known as Cephalocereus senilis)
- Luke Skypoker (instead of Luke Skywalker…I hope that’s not too much of a stretch)
- Katniss the Cactus
- Cactus Everdeen
- Stabley Kowalski (from A Streetcar Named Desire)
- Stabley Ipkiss (from The Mask)
- Pricky Bobby (from Talladega Nights)
- Atticus Pinch (from to Kill a Mockingbird)
- Rapunzel (if you have a zig zag cactus or a string of pearls)
- Pokahontas (this one is perfection in my opinion)
- Corporal Pricks (from Aliens)
- Baloo (from the Jungle Book when he sings the Bare Necessities song, remember??)
If you’re a Star Wars fan, you’ve got to check out this Baby Yoda planter. I don’t think you’ll find anything more cute for one of you baby cacti!
Cactus Names Based on Video Games
- Spike Nukem (instead of Duke Nukem)
- Pok-man (instead of Pacman)
- Yoshi (because, green?)
- Peach or Princess Peach (for a prickly pear cactus!)
Ironic Names for a Cactus
- Hugs Bunny
Girl Cactus Names
Maybe you’ve got a cactus that just screams femininity and you’d like to give it a proper name.
Choose a lady-like name and then plant it in this adorable flower girl planter.
Here are some cute names for a cactus (maybe even a baby cactus) based on girl’s names:
- Dorothy (if you have an Old Lady Cactus)
- Elizabeth (also perfect for a Mammillaria hahniana (Old Lady Cactus) because when they’re in bloom, the flowers look like a crown – fit for a queen)
- Priscilla (for prickly pear)
- Stabitha (instead of Tabitha)
Boy Cactus Names
Perhaps your cactus is stoic or strong looking, and a boy’s name would be more suitable.
Here are some ideas to roll with:
- Cam or Cameron
- Nicolas or Nick (for a Christmas Cactus…because St. Nick!)
- Pierce (get it?)
- Sam (for a saguaro)
Funny Names for Cacti
- Stretch (perfect for a columnar cactus)
- Dill Prickle
- Prickle Monster
- Sprout (for a small, baby cactus)
- Hope (if you can’t seem to keep them alive)
Do you have any other funny or ironic names that you gave to your cactus? Or which one(s) on this list are you using? Let me know in the comments below – I’d love to hear what you came up with!
More Cactus Content:
Share with your crazy plant friends on Facebook or save a pin to your Pinterest boards!